You know you need to digitally evolve; how do you check you are not only getting value for money but getting what will culturally fit in your organisation?
If your organisation has already embraced digital pre-COVID-19 and begun your transformation from siloed data and on-premise CRM systems to cloud-based connected data & CRM then right now you’re probably feeling like ‘the cat that got the cream!’ If you haven’t been able to make this transition yet, then siloed data and an on-premise CRM will have potentially been causing you a fair degree of pain.
If you are in the latter camp then you certainly need to start to move to a position where your organisation can operate remotely in a secure, connected manner. When planning a large investment for a new CRM or website, possibly one of the largest investments your organisation has made in some time, the devil is always in the detail.
You know you need to evolve; how do you check you are not only getting value for money but getting what will culturally fit your organisation?
We have put some thoughts together on the steps you should be making when starting on this journey.
- Allocating adequate time and resource to detailing your business requirements, data structure and ‘as is’ digital business processes. This will ensure that you know what you need BEFORE starting to look for potential suppliers.
- A clear detailed RFP is vital to ensure that you get a robust and realistic response from potential suppliers. If you have spent time planning it will be easier for you to do, rather than just a vanilla response. Spending time planning before the RFP will save you time and money in the long run as unearthing unknown requirements deep into the project ‘project creep’, will likely multiply change requests and increase the costs and timescales.
- Research suppliers thoroughly, based on peer reviews, forum research, software demonstrations etc… understand the good, the bad and the ugly. The importance here is to be open-minded, there will always be frustrated clients – but this is not always the supplier’s fault.
- Ensuring a level playing field is everything. Running a fair, agnostic tender process based on a panel decision (people from across the organisation) judging the quality of the supplier response, team, and software is paramount to your project’s success.
- In addition to what the technology offers, here are some other considerations when selecting the right supplier for your organisation.
- Budget – All suppliers will estimate the budget needed for the rollout, if you have done the background planning then this should be a good estimate – is this realistic? Factor in some contingency and possibly some external assistance.
- Culture and risk management This element does get de-prioritised but don’t underestimate the importance of this step. You must make sure that the whole organisation understands the changes and appreciates the value in the change, both for them and the members. What will the supplier do to help with this?
- Roll out.
- The final stage is deployment, do not underestimate this stage and the time and resource needed, ensure that you have someone specifically assigned to manage the project. This is the final mile but one that needs focus to ensure you have the desired results.
There will be some moments of confusion. Remember this is about your business requirements first, not technology. It is natural for people to get excited by the art of the possible, but do you really need it?
We’ve recently created a whitepaper focusing on running a successful tender process, if you would like a copy please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chrysalis Digital provides a digital transformation service designed to help build a more agile, efficient, and innovative organisation. Chrysalis has helped many organisations map their digital path with its broad cross-sector experience and choose the right technology partners through careful planning and assessment. Chrysalis Digital is 100% agnostic when recommending CMS and CRM suppliers to its clients.
If you need any help with the next steps in your journey, contact us.